Problems Adding Msiext-Reference

Nov 10, 2010 at 4:45 PM

Hi there,

either I'm doing something wrong or there exists a problem when adding a reference to any extension (dll file inside the WixExtensions folder). My development environment ist Windows 7, Visual Studio 2010, .Net Framework 3.5, Msiext build 1.2.7062, WiX build 3.5.2229

The problem occurs when I try to add e.g. WixDataSourceExtension.dll als a reference to an existing WiX-setup-project. It's telling me that "A reference to [filepath] could not be added. Please make sure that the file is accessible, and that it is a valid WiX reference." Are there any constraints about using msiext e.g. like a specifc version. By the way, does anybody know which WiX build had been used for creating the msiext 1.2.7062 build?

Thanks

Flo

Coordinator
Nov 10, 2010 at 6:37 PM

I am pretty sure that this doesn't work because MsiExt is Wix 3.0 and wix extensions aren't backward compatible.

I've created a workitem to upgrade to wix 3.5, but that hasn't even shipped yet. You can certainly try to do the work and submit a patch - I am happy to create a 3.5 fork of MsiExt 1.2 and/or the next release.

Apr 28, 2011 at 10:40 AM

I'm also using Win 7 and I've run into a similar issue. Try the following steps:

1.) Unpack the downloaded msi-zip

2.) Right-click on the required dll and choose "Properties"

3.) Check if there is a security warning at the bottom such as "file came from another computer and might be dangerous".

4.) Click on "Unblock" and confirm.
Note: If this file has been placed into a "secured" area such as "program files" the unblock-command will not be stored permanently! You'd have to move it someplace else and unblock it there first.

5.) Try again to reference the file.

Visual Studio doesn't seem to like importing "blocked" files >.<

Coordinator
Jun 23, 2011 at 12:08 AM

Fyi, I uploaded build 1.3.9647.0 which is Wix 3.5, http://msiext.codeplex.com/releases/view/65032.

There's also a 3.0 fork now that pguerra is maintaining, http://msiext.codeplex.com/releases/view/68312

Apr 18, 2013 at 2:30 PM
Hi dblock,
I am currently suffering from the same Problem (i have WiX 3.7),
i have SharePoint Foundation(http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=21786) installed on my machine and in order for my Little Outlook addin to work on my Clients Computers, they Need those dll's too,
so i manage (WiX msi base installer Project\References - add Reference ) to the C:\Windows\assembly Folder so i can add my dll's
i want to add them to the Project so when i deploy it and it becomes a Setup, the Setup Automatically adds the dll's (this is possible with WiX Reference add right?).
Since I'm a beginner, I'd be happy for any Kind of help, thanks a lot in advance!
Coordinator
Apr 18, 2013 at 3:59 PM
THE PROJECT HAS MOVED TO GITHUB, PLEASE DON'T POST ANYTHING HERE