DataSource Demo

Dec 17, 2010 at 1:55 PM

Hi,

I am trying to create a wxs based upon the DataSource demo example. However this example has an annoying error (which I am now also getting in my msi). When hitting the back-button on the VerifyReady dialog, I get error 8727. This only happens when DATABASE_LOGON_TYPE is DatabaseAccount (not when it is DatabaseIntegratedAuth).

Anybody have an idea how I could solve this?

Regards,

Ducati

Coordinator
Dec 17, 2010 at 2:49 PM

Run a repro of this with logging (msiexec /i ) and please file a bug. I'll try to help.

Jan 14, 2011 at 10:32 AM
Edited Jan 14, 2011 at 11:26 AM

Hi dblock,

I checked a little further into the problem. It can be reproduced in the DataSource demo included in the msi extension download by following the next steps:

1. In the ChooseDatabaseDlg select a server different from (local). Contrary to what I posted earlier, logon type does not matter. You get the error both with Windows and SQL Authentication.
  2. Hit Next.
  3. Hit Back.

The error log from my wix-project (where dialog is called SqlServerDialog) contains the following:

MSI (c) (44:6C) [12:20:31:010]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Adding LOGON_VALID property. Its value is '0'.
MSI (c) (44:6C) [12:20:35:264]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Modifying WIXUI_DATABASE_SERVER property. Its current value is '(local)'. Its new value: 'US_EQ01'.
Action 12:20:36: SQLDatabaseDialog. Dialog created
DEBUG: Error 2878:  On the dialog SQLServerDialog the control Server has a possible value: US_EQ01. This is an invalid or duplicate value.

I noticed a similar issue posted by you a couple of months ago, but it was closed without any clarification: http://msiext.codeplex.com/workitem/12023. Did you find a workaround then?

Regards,

Ducati

Coordinator
Jan 14, 2011 at 11:42 AM

I've reopened the workitem. This happens because a CA tries to insert a duplicate value into a list that already has it. It's a limitation of the MSI dropdown list control. One should be able to fix it by understanding the order of these custom actions in the demo and conditioning the selection appropriately. If you have time, look at the source, maybe you'll find a quick solution.

Jan 18, 2011 at 4:19 PM

dblock,

Any help on a quick solution would be welcome. As I do not really know what happens in the CA (I am not a programmer, merely a database developer), I do not quite know where to start.

I would really love to use the DataSource extension as it looks very promising on other features as well. But if I do not find a solution to this annoying error, I guess I'll have to search for a different approach.

Regards,

Ducati

Coordinator
Jan 19, 2011 at 12:57 PM

I won't make any promises, but since it's a bug, it will eventually get fixed :)